Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Art of Redemption; Chapter 2

JPOV

I could feel her fear, among other emotions, as she stood, still as a board, about ten feet in front of me. Her heart was racing out of control and yet there she stood, glaring daggers at me. I took a tentative step towards her. "Relax, Bella. I can feel how afraid you are."

"Don't fucking tell me what to do, Jasper," she hissed. She fucking hissed!

"I just want to talk."

"I don't. Just…just stay away from me," she said as she rushed past me, trying to get back into the crowded club. As she went by, I grabbed her arm firm enough to stop her, but not firm enough to hurt her. She gasped once I grabbed her and she struggled to break free.

"Do you seriously think you can outrun me, Bella? Do you seriously think you can get free?" I asked, a little too menacingly.

"Let go of me," she said shakily, her fear now running to the forefront.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Bella."

"You're eyes say differently."

"I promise I won't hurt you, Bella. Will you please just let me talk to you?" I asked. I could feel her resolve slowly starting to give way; she knew she wouldn't win in a struggle.

"There's nothing to say," she whispered.

"And I think there is."

She took a deep breath, probably trying to calm herself before speaking. "Who else is here? If Edward is here, I swear to fucking god I will find a way to tear him to pieces and dance around his fucking pyre as he burns," she said with a quiet anger.

"None of the Cullen's are with me, Bella. I'm here with a few old friends." Bella's relief flooded me as she visibly relaxed before confusion slowly started to take over.

"Alice?"

"I don't know, Bella, I left her a while ago. After you're birthday, everything changed. Alice started distancing herself and all I felt from her was disappointment and I knew it was directed at me. I couldn't take the emotional climate in the house, so I left. A few months later, Alice sent me the divorce papers. I keep in touch with Emmett and Rose and occasionally send an email to Carlisle and Esme, but I don't know where anyone is," I explained.

"Oh," she said quietly. "Um, Jasper, can you let go of me now?"

"Sorry," I said as I gave her a small smile as I released her wrist. The back door to the bar opened and the male bartender walked out. "B, I'm starting to get swamped in there. I need ya back behind the bar with me," he said as he looked at Bella. I didn't have to feel his emotions to know he was concerned about Bella as he eyed me with distrust.

"I'll be right there Drew."

"Everything okay B?" he asked, not once taking his eyes off of me.

"Yea, he was just leaving. I'll a…I'll be in in a minute."

"Okay," he said as he turned to walk back inside.

"I um… I should go," she said as she walked off back to the bar.

"Will I see you again?" I called after her.

"I don't know," she said quietly just before walking through the door. I don't know how long I stayed in the alley behind the bar. When I walked around back front, Peter and Charlotte were already waiting for me and Peter was wearing his signature shit-eatin' grin.

"C'mon, let's get you out of here. Bella's had enough for one night," Peter said as he slapped me on the back. "She looks good."

"Shame on you for scaring her like that Jasper Whitlock!" Charlotte chastised.

"I know. You two go, I'm gonna stay here," I said, turning back towards the bar.

"She won't like it if she catches you following her."

"Then she won't catch me."

BPOV

My heart continued to race as I tried to calmly finish my shift. A few hours and a few dances later, we were finally cleaning up the bar.

"Spill it, B. Who was the hot as fuck cowboy you were chattin' up in the alley? Are you starting to re-think your once-a-month one nighters?"

"No, Drew, I'm not. He's just from an old life."

"That wasn't…that wasn't your ex was it?"

"No, absolutely not. If that was my ex, he wouldn't be walking away in one piece. That was actually the ex's older brother."

"Honestly, B, was your ex that fuckable?"

"Doesn't matter."

"So are you gonna see Hot Cowboy brother again? Do I get to look forward to having eye candy in the apartment?" he asked excitedly, wiping down the bar counter.

"I don't think so, Drew. Again, he's from an old life. One I don't particularly want to revisit."

"But B, what if it's-"

"Drop it Drew!" I hissed as I walked to an empty table to start counting my tips, Drew following close behind. I continued to count, trying to keep hold of my wandering thoughts.

"How'd you do tonight?" Drew asked.

"Three-twenty-two. Not too shabby if ya ask me. What about you?"

"Two-sixty. Not my best night."

"That's because it was mostly men in here tonight. Come on, Drew, let's go home," I said, sliding back my chair and gathering my money.

"Okay," he said, repeating my motions. We went to the back and gathered our belongings from the employee lounge.

"You take care of Little B, Drew," Tony, the bouncer said as we exited the club.

"Oh come on, Tony! We all know I can take care of myself!" I exclaimed while flexing my arm and kissing my bicep. Tony laughed a jovial chuckle and Drew and I joined in.

"I know Little B. You're a tough shit when you wanna be."

"Damn straight! Drew, take me home!"

We started walking home, silently into the cold Albuquerque night. No matter what I did, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched…being followed. My eyes continued to dart into every alley and all around us to no avail.

When we got home, we both went our separate ways, Drew going towards his room and me towards mine. I went straight towards the master bathroom and started the water for a shower. I stripped out of my work clothes and climbed into the shower. As I scrubbed my body, I couldn't help but think of the events that played out tonight. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know what to make of it. I came to New Mexico because I thought it would fucking be vampire free. But does Bella Swan have luck like that…I don't fucking think so.

At one time, I would have probably argued that I was destined to be a part of that world and finally get my happy-ever-after, but that part of me died all those years ago. There was another time that I would have probably argued that I was still destined to be part of that world…as someone's dinner. But now, I didn't know what to think.

I climbed out of the shower and into my pajamas before getting into my bed. For over an hour, I tried to sleep but still couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching me. I got out of my bed and walked to the window and drew back the curtain. As I looked out, I saw…absolutely nothing. Get a grip Bella. I doubt he would follow you home. I padded back to my bed and climbed back in underneath the sheets, trying once again to let sleep consume me.

After about half an hour of tossing and turning, I felt a huge wave of lethargy wash over me before finally succumbing to sleep.



I didn't wake up until nine o'clock the next morning. The sun was shining through crack in the curtains. I threw the sheets back and reluctantly climbed out of bed before neatly pulling the covers back over the now empty bed.

My dreams last night were completely consumed by the pair of crimson eyes I was met with last night at the club. Jasper was back and he wasn't following the Cullen's diet any longer. But for some unknown reason, it didn't disturb me as much as it should have. At least it didn't after the fear factor wore off. As long as I, or anyone I care about, wasn't his next meal, it didn't bother me.

I made my way out to the living room where Drew was already digging in to his cereal in front of the TV.

"Dammit Drew! That's why we have a fucking table! I swear to god, if there is so much as a fucking crumb on that couch-"

"Shit B, I thought you weren't ever going to wake up. I was about to call SWAT!"

"Don't be so dramatic," I said walking to the kitchen cupboard to pull out the box of lucky charms. I poured the bowl of cereal and went to the fridge to grab the milk, only to find about a tablespoon of milk left in the jug. "DREW!"

"Hey Bella, we're outta milk!" He yelled sheepishly.

"Fuck you," I mumbled, dumping the cereal back into the box. I went to the coffee pot and poured a cup of coffee instead.

"So what's on the agenda today?" Drew asked from his perch on the couch.

"Well, first we're going grocery shopping. Then I have to come back here and start working on my paper."

"How come I have to go grocery shopping with you?"

"You eat the food Numb-nuts."

"My nuts are not numb!"

"Drew, it's still early and I haven't finished my coffee. I really don't want to hear about your nuts."

"You brought them into the conversation."

"Just finish your cereal so we can go."

"Yes mom."

With my coffee in hand, I went to my bedroom to get dressed. I dressed quickly, grabbing a denim miniskirt and black tank top, paired with some black flip flops. I made my way to the bathroom to style my hair and apply my makeup. Midway through my makeup application there was a knock on the door to the apartment followed by a "Bella, delivery!"

Delivery?

I walked out my bedroom door, sans mascara on one eye, and went to the apartment door where a florist's delivery boy was waiting.

"Bella Swan?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Sign here," he said shoving a signature pad at me. I quickly signed my name and the delivery boy, whose nametag read 'Matt' bent down to retrieve the beautiful arrangement of freesias and purple hyacinths before handing them to me.

"Thank you," I said before shutting the door.

"Who are those from? Is there a card?"

"Jeez Drew, calm down. It looks like there's a card," I said, walking the vase over to the kitchen counter before setting them down. I grabbed the card and opened it.

Bella,

It was nice seeing you last night; I'm sorry for scarin' ya. Please call me when you're ready to talk.

J. Whitlock

J. Whitlock? I flipped the card over and sure enough, there was a phone number. I tried to mentally run through all of the 'J' names I knew and could only come up with three. One was dead; one was dead to me, and one I hadn't seen until last night.

"Oh my god," I whispered.

"Spill it sister, who are the flowers from?"

"It's him," I whispered again, not letting the card out of my hands.

"Him who?"

"Jasper."

"You're not giving me enough to go on. Who's Jasper?"

"From last night."

"Hot Cowboy?"

I nodded my head, not trusting my voice.

"So what are you going to do Little B?"

"I don't know."

"I'll tell you what you're going to do. You're gonna call that fuckhot cowboy. That's what you're gonna do."

"I can't call him Drew! Are you fucking crazy?" I screeched.

"No. And you know it. You know that you want to, I can see it in your pretty brown eyes, B."

"Just go get dressed so we can go," I said as I pointed towards his bedroom.

Drew raised his hand to his forehead before saying, "yes ma'am" in mock salute before getting up to get dressed. I giggled at his antics. I grabbed the card that came with the flowers and went to finish getting ready for the day.

It didn't take me long to finish getting ready since all I had to do was put a coat of mascara on one eye so once I finished, I sat on my bed. I stared at the card with Jasper's number. After five minutes of staring, I was seriously starting to think I was going to burn a whole through it.

I grabbed for my cell phone that was sitting on my nightstand and opened the screen for a new text message.

J. Whitlock? Thank you for the flowers, they're beautiful.

I wasn't ready to talk to him. But, my parents raised me with manners and when someone sends you flowers, you at least say thank you. So I did.

I typed in his number and hit send; knowing full well it wouldn't be the last time that I heard from J. Whitlock.

0 comments: